Better Than Bulletproof? Coffee Smoothie
I know people LOOOOOVE Bulletproof Coffee, and I have a confession to make…I haven’t actually tried it. My fatal milk allergy prevents me from doing so, but I know I would love it. (Who wouldn’t love a good-for-you, frothy coffee?) I’m also super into Bulletproof’s company ethos and their message about supplemental nutrition.
So, I took a nod from their recipe to create a coffee smoothie.
But before we get there, everyone reacts to coffee, and caffeine in general, very differently. I feel like my journey with coffee is typical for what happens within life as our bodies develop, adapt and change.
Post college, I relied on coffee heavily in order to get through my long, tiring work days and it always gave me a stomach ache. It was like I could taste and feel the acidity. Of course, I drank it anyway because I thought I needed it to get through the day. Finally, I gave it up and turned to caffeinated teas that were less acidic and gentler on my stomach. It was a great decision that I’ve stuck to for years, but I’ve recently been craving coffee again. The flavor, more than anything.
While dipping my toe back into coffee drinking, I finally found a coffee that not only gave me an extra caffeine lift but was also superfood charged: Four Sigmatic’s Mushroom Coffee. It’s an instant coffee powder that’s blended with medicinal mushrooms. Let’s just say I’m obsessed. This smoothie can, of course, be made with regular organic coffee, but I highly recommend you try this stuff. It’s so good.
As I was playing with my coffee cravings, I was also noticing that when I added more nutrients to the beverage, namely good fat, I felt better digesting it. I decided to make this suped-up coffee more like a smoothie–with healthy fat, protein and digestive aids to make it go down smoothly.
Here’s the breakdown:
- 2 cups of coffee (hot or cold)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (about 15-20 grams of protein)
- 2-3 tbsp coconut manna
- 2 sprinkles or dashes of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp maca powder
Need some milk with your coffee? Add some unsweetened almond milk
Blend on high until all ingredients combined.
- Coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed crops so make sure it’s organic. Otherwise, the nutrients in coffee, as well as the caffeine, are proven to be performance enhancing and prevent cancer and type 2 diabetes. (That is, if you lay off the sugar-laden coffee drinks.)
- Coconut manna is one of my favorite ingredients. It’s high in good fats, has naturally occurring MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) which are easily metabolized into energy and is also naturally antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial.
- Cinnamon is a digestive aid that’s also anti inflammatory.
- Maca is a natural energy booster that’s also known to aid in fertility and stamina.